We wish to sincerely thank Mr. Bob Gardner who has served for the past two years as Maple Leaf’s Superintendent of BC Programs for Schools in China. Bob will be returning for Canada this summer. Bob has served in this capacity with professional expertise, cultural awareness and effective leadership. He will be missed, and we express our deep appreciation to him for his dedicated service and wish him the very best as he returns to Canada.
Please join us in welcoming Dr. Peter Froese as our new Superintendent of BC Programs for China Schools. He will commence this new role in August.
Peter is a provincially recognized educator and administrator who has provided leadership in the public, independent, and post-secondary sectors in British Columbia. He completed his doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy at UBC in 2010 and is a contributing author of a book entitled, What Every Teacher Needs to Know: Topics of Inclusion, published by Wipf and Stock, 2017.
He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Winnipeg, a Teacher Certification diploma from UBC, a Masters in Educational Leadership from the University of Victoria and a doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy from UBC.
His experience in education includes 20 years in the public sector with the Richmond and Abbotsford School Districts, as well as four years as teacher and administrator with the Department of National Defense in Lahr, Germany. He was recruited to become Superintendent of MEI Schools in Abbotsford, where an elementary and middle school were established under his leadership.
For the last eight years, he has been the Executive Director of the Federation of Independent Schools (FISA) in British Columbia, advocating on behalf of 310 independent schools and 83,000 students.
His professional involvements include:
- Five senior BC Ministry of Education committees on educational policy, leadership, curriculum innovation, risk management, and teacher recruitment and retention
- Board Vice Chairperson of the BC Council of International Education (BCCIE) for the past seven years, including chair of the Finance and HR Committee
- Member of City University Advisory Board
- Ministry of Education evaluator and chair for BC offshore schools in China and independent schools in BC until 2009
- Has just been reappointed by the Ministry of Education as chair of BC offshore and independent school evaluation teams until 2021
- Worked closely with the leadership of BCSTA, BCPVPA, BCSSA and BCASBO, the education partners in the BC public sector, supporting quality learning opportunities for K-12 students in BC