Dr. Sherman Jen is the Founder, Chairman, and co-CEO of China Maple Leaf Educational Systems. Dr. Jen was born in Fucheng in Hubei Province. He is a graduate from Beijing Foreign Studies University (China); holds a MBA from the University of Wales (UK), and a Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Royal Roads University (Canada).
Dr. Jen founded the first Maple Leaf International School in 1995. It is his vision, diplomacy and unwavering dedication that has been foundational to Maple Leaf’s remarkable success.
Sherman Jen was the first person to integrate a western and Chinese program in China’s K-12 educational system, as well as the first to obtain the agreement of government educational commissions to grant equivalency credits to enable grade 12 students to graduate with high school diplomas from both Canada and China. Dr. Jen has led and continues to guide Maple Leaf in its amazing development.
Dr. Jen is a strong promoter of public welfare. He takes active part in social activities and has made numerous contributions to the educational and economic development causes. he has received a number of awards (some examples listed below):
- November 2001 — Dalian Honorary Citizen, awarded by Dalian Government;
- January 2003 — One of the first session Top Ten Figures of China’s Private Education;
- August 2003 — Award for Contributions to China-Canada Education Cooperation granted by British Columbia Canada;
- December 2004 — Entitled “the Most Influential Figure of China’s Private Education”;
- September 2005 — “Liaoning Friendship Award” granted by Liaoning Provincial Government;
- December 2005 — One of the first cohort of “Overseas Chinese Professionals’ Outstanding Entrepreneurship Award” granted by Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council of China;
- June 2008 — “Outstanding Achievements Award” granted by government of British Columbia Canada;
- April 2011 — Entitled one of “12th Session China Times Top Ten News Figures”;
- September 2013 — Received the Governor General of Canada’s Medallion from Mr. David Johnston, Governor General of Canada
- October 2014 — Received the Chinese Government’s Friendship Award, the highest award granted to a foreign expert in China, from PRC Premier Mr. Li Keqiang and two Vice Premiers.